Tuesday 22 January 2013

Review: Native Watercraft "Slayer 12"

Written by
 
While in Virginia Beach, VA for the Columbus Day Boondoggle, I got to meet Woody Callaway from Liquidlogic Kayaks. Strapped to the trailer of the Liquidlogic RV was their newest kayak: the Native Watercraft “Slayer”. I jokingly asked Woody when I would be fishing out of the Slayer, and without hesitation, he said, “Tomorrow!”.

Initial impressions: The Native Watercraft Slayer 12 is clean and uncluttered - everything had its purpose. The overall lines on the kayak are very sleek with everything recessed nicely.
Portability: The Slayer 12 is listed at 70 lbs., but felt lighter. This is probably due to all the handles being solid, allowing you to control the kayak much more easily. All Slayers come equipped with the “Tag Along Wheel”. I tested it at the launch with the kayak fully loaded with gear. The Tag Along Wheel made the move from the car to the launch a breeze. The solid bow handle positioned horizontally made controlling the kayak extremely easy. This was the first stand-out feature of the Slayer that sets it apart from other similar kayaks.
Native Slayer Forward
Performance: On the water, you quickly feel like you’re paddling a much skinner kayak. The Slayer handled well in both stand up paddling and standard sitting paddling. The raised seated position felt tippier than the lower seated position, but this is the case with all kayaks.
The second stand out feature was the High Low First Class Seat. Switching between the high and low seated positions was very simple. Native uses bungees to hold the seat in place, so a simple lift and scoot allowed me to move it between positions without having to undo straps or clips. I did initially have concerns over the seat only being secured this way, but Native did a great job of molding the seat pan area to allow a nice, snug fit. The seat never felt loose or unsecure in either position, and was extremely comfortable.
Another positive was an extremely shallow draft. There are several sandbars out at Lynnhaven Bay that were no deeper than 6 inches, and I was able to paddle across them without issue.
Native Slayer Standing
Standability: I have yet to stand in a 31” wide kayak that felt this stable. The deck is very flat; I always had a stable position for my feet. The deck is right at or slightly below the waterline, which gives the kayak extra stability. One issue with the deck being this low is with the scupper plugs removed, water does come in slightly. I also feel the Slayer would benefit from adding a strap towards the bow to help in standing from the lower position.
Fishability: The Slayer is equipped with recessed groove tracks on the stern, midship and bow. This made it very easy for me to quickly add a couple of Scotty mounts and my YakAttack “Panfish”. There is also a small console designed to store your battery, and also mount any electronics you like to a groove track. The model I used had the groove track mounted directly to the console but Woody told me that the new models with have the track recessed like all the others.
The foam padding around the cup holder, accessory tray, and rod tip rests is a nice touch. The rod tip rests fit my bait casters, but didn’t fit my spinning rods very well; the larger guides on the spinning rods didn’t allow the rods to rest properly.
While on the water, I didn’t even notice the Plano box storage on the side of the seats. This would have made changing out tackle much easier with my Plano boxes right next to me.
While anchored or staked out, the Slayer would benefit greatly from an anchor trolley. I also noticed the Tag Along Wheel knocking with the side to side movement of the kayak. I mentioned this to Woody, and he said that it was an easy fix. I also missed a paddle keeper, there are no paddle keepers installed by the factory so you will have to add them yourself.
Native Slayer Redfish
The final stand-out feature is the Slayers stability. I was able to fish all day in the kayak, turn around and grab tackle out of my crate, and access my gear in the bow without issue. When we got back to the launch, several others tried out the Slayer. People who have never stood in a kayak easily stood and paddled the Slayer.
Native Slayer Chip Standing
Summary: I believe the Native Watercraft Slayer 12 will be in the running for next year’s KACA’s as Kayak of the Year. It’s stable, tracks well, is quick and nimble for a wider kayak, is easily moved using the Tag Along Wheel, and has a seating system that allows you to move from high to low seating positions with ease. When I’m in the market for a new paddling kayak, I’m almost positive it will be a Slayer!


Boat SpecsBoat Features
Length: 12'
Width: 31"
Weight: 70 lbs
Capacity: 400 lbs
Groove Track
High/Low First Class Seat
Electronics Console
Cup Holder
Open Bow Hatch w/ Scuppers
Quiet Stable Hull
Tag Along Wheel

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment