Tuesday 11 September 2012

Angler nets 100 fish over 100lbs

Angler nets 100 fish over 100lbs

Builder Martin's monster haul

Bully for you ... Martin with Bull shark in the Caribbean
Bully for you ... Martin with Bull shark in the Caribbean
Martin Hodgkinson/BNPS.co.uk

 

NOW this is what you call a reel achievement — keen angler Martin Hodgkinson has landed 100 different species of fish weighing over 100lbs.

The 51-year-old has travelled more than 100,000 miles across the world over five years on his remarkable quest to catch the biggest monster fish on the planet.
The Wolverhampton builder has spent more than £30,000 on flights, hotel rooms and fishing trips in faraway locations such as Thailand, Mexico, Gambia and the Dominican Republic.
And he has spent hours stood on boats, beaches, piers and banks with his rod and tackle waiting for a mammoth bite.
His aim was to enter the exclusive “100 - 100” club, a rare band of fisherman who have caught 100 different species over 100lbs.
Monster ... 400lb lemon shark
Monster ... 400lb lemon shark
Martin Hodgkinson/BNPS.co.uk

Martin finally achieved his goal after reeling in a 200lb Mekong catfish in Thailand this month.
His impressive list of catches includes a 1,000lb saw fish, a 450lb grouper fish and a 400lb lemon shark.
He has netted five different species of shark as well as catfish, arapaimas, stingrays and tarpin.
Martin said: “I only got the idea of going for the 100 after I caught my 20th big fish and I gave myself five years to do it.
Last catch ... 200lb Mekong Catfish
Last catch ... 200lb Mekong Catfish
Martin Hodgkinson/BNPS.co.uk

“At first my attitude was ’I’ll give it a go’ but after a while it became a bit of an obsession for me.
“I didn’t think about the money and after a while of doing it I couldn’t stop until the end.
“I have done an average of three fishing trips a year for the last five years and have gone skint on a few occasions.
“I’m really chuffed that I have done it and relieved as well given the amount of time and money I have spent.”
A handful ... 260lb Arapaima in Thailand
A handful ... 260lb Arapaima in Thailand
Martin Hodgkinson/BNPS.co.uk

The first fish Martin caught, that launched his obsession, was a 130lb catfish caught on the River Ebro in Spain.
He added: “The biggest fish I have caught was a 1,000lb saw fish that was bigger than the boat I was on.
“I have got a world record for a catfish in Thailand.
“The most lethal fish I have caught was a lemon shark which took a bite out of my mate’s left arm and he needed 48 stitches.
Catch of the day ... Hammerhead shark in Florida
Catch of the day ... Hammerhead shark in Florida
: Martin Hodgkinson/BNPS.co.uk

“The grouper was the hardest fish I have caught because they are so elusive and it took me all five years to get one.
“Pound for pound, the tarpin was the toughest fish I have caught in terms of the fight it put up. It took me 45 minutes to catch it and I was knackered afterwards.”
Martin said his long-suffering partner Diane has had no choice but to put up with his extravagant hobby.


Read More:  http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3870028/Angler-nets-100-fish-over-100lbs.html

No comments:

Post a Comment